Ramon Magsaysay Technological University
The Ramon Magsaysay Technological University is a government funded higher education institution in Zambales established in 1910 and converted into a state university in 1998. The main campus of the university is located in the Municipality of Iba, Province of Zambales. The university is named after the province’s greatest son and former President of the Republic of the Philippines, President Ramon Magsaysay. It has also satellite campuses in the municipalities of Sta. Cruz, Candelaria, Masinloc, Botolan, San Marcelino, Castillejos all in the province of Zambales. The university also offers nursing courses at the Mondriaan Aura College in SBMA under a consortium program.
The Ramon Magsaysay Technological University is mandated to provide instruction, undertake research and extension and provide advance studies and progressive leadership in agriculture, forestry, engineering education, arts, sciences and humanities and in other fields as may be relevant to the development of Zambales.
The Ramon Magsaysay Technological University, a merger of three public education institutions in the province of Zambales, was established by virtue of Republic Act 8498, enacted on February 12, 1998 through the initiative of Congressman Antonio M. Diaz. The University Charter integrated the former Ramon Magsaysay Polytechnic College (RMPC) in Iba, the former Western Luzon Agricultural College (WLAC) in San Marcelino, and the former Candelaria School of Fisheries (CSF) in Candelaria. The strengths of its parent-institutions, which had existed since the early 1900s, served as RMTU’s springboard for its accelerated growth and development.
The RMPC in 1998, which is now RMTU’s Main Campus, was founded as a farm school in 1910. It was converted into a provincial trade school in 1919. Through the years, it metamorphosed into Zambales Trade School in 1933, Western Luzon School of Arts and Trades in 1953, Zambales School of Arts and Trades in 1957, and Ramon Magsaysay Memorial School of Arts and Trades in 1961. It became a DECS-supervised College (RMPC) in 1993 and a chartered state college in 1995.
WLAC, now the San Marcelino Campus, started as a farm school in 1927. It became the Zambales Rural High School in 1933, the Zambales National Agricultural School in 1960, the Western Luzon Junior Agricultural College in 1977, and eventually evolved into a full-fledged state college in 1985. WLAC’s integration into the university system also included its satellite campus in Botolan (1993) as well as its extension classes in the SBMA Compound (1996-2001) and Subic (1999-2003). The phase-out of SBMA and Subic campuses gave rise to RMTU-Castillejos Campus starting June 2003.
To date, RMTU stands proud with its high-performing seven (7) campuses, 65 degree programs, 8,000 students, 600-strong faculty and staff, and viable international linkages and consortium agreements. A century of visionary zeal, hardwork, dedication and commitment of its founders, pioneering and contemporary administrators, benefactors and other stakeholders has indeed paid off.