Balungao was officially founded in the year 1815. The town was formerly a part of Cuyapo, Nueva Ecija. But due to its geographical location, it was deemed proper to make it a separate town. In the latter part of the 18th century, it was separated from the mother town of Cuyapo and was annexed to the Municipality of Rosales sometime in the early of the 19th century.
Every thing, every life here on earth has its own share of historical evolution the plants, the birds, important places, and even man himself. To this end, the Municipality of Balungao is no exception. The events and circumstances leading to its creation were started from the story of a young married lady well known of her beauty in the surrounding vicinity who was widowed very young. People were amazed of this beautiful young widow and they called her “BALUN-UGAW”.
So the place became famous in the tongues of many that whenever one goes to this place they call it “BALUNGAO” derived from the word “BALUN-UGAW” in honor of the early settler, a lady of beauty whose forebears came from the Ilocos Region.
The historical event that took place in the municipality dates back during the time when the locality was segregated from the township of Cuyapo, Nueva Ecija where many of the political personages were involved. Revolution broke out in the municipality in the year 1896. During the time of Raymundo Laureta as the Cabeza de Barangay, he organized the Katipuneros. After the revolution, the town was again ceded to the Municipality of Rosales; it was named formerly as “Panaclaban”. However, by virtue of the Spanish Royal Family Decree, Balungao became again a town and one Don Pascual Dasil was appointed as the first Municipal President. During the American Regime, Don Calixto Soliven was appointed by the Americans as the first Municipal President of the municipality. History also tells that during the early part of the Spanish Regime, the north western portion of the plaza (where the municipal auditorium is now located) was the municipal cemetery, and the southwestern portion (where the basketball court is now situated) rose the Spanish Catholic Church.
Apparently, long before the outbreak ofWorld War II, the town plaza was totally covered with thick “talahibs”, “amorsico”, and cogon grass. It was then inhabited by astray animals like carabaos, cows, goats, sheep, pigs which were then roaming around day and night. In other words, it was a “paradise and a playground” to animals; for that matter it was then an eye sore especially to visitors.
But time has changed marvelously the area. During the liberation period, the town plaza was made as an Army Camp by the American forces. The 341st Ordinance Depot was stationed in the municipality for a year and during their sojourn it was leveled and filled with sand and gravel.