Magsingal, Ilocos Sur
The name of the town, Magsingal owes its origin from an Ilocano term “Managsinggal”. The word means “wanderer”, descriptive of the nomadic nature and characteristics of the Itnegs or Tingguians who migrated to this place some 200 to 300 years before Spanish Era. However, in the process of lingual evolution, the term “Magsinngal” underwent some changes in substance, form and meaning. Its original connotation as “wanderer” gave way to its more endeared meaning, a home, a place and a name of a beloved town, for more than 20,000 people.
It seems that the only document pinpointing to the creation of this municipality is the “Casaritaan Ti Ili a Magsingal, a compilation of facts and events by the late Macario Tolentino, alcalde Municipal of this town from 1935-1940. According to this compilation, the Municipality of Magsingal was created in 1676 upon the orders of Capitan Juan de Salcedo of the Spanish Army.
Being the chief of administrative authority at that time, Capitan Juan de Salcedo created “pueblo” Magsingal, for in behalf of the Governor-General and on conformity with the laws of the Indies.
The town was created chiefly due to the existence of the three settlements under the rule of the woman leader and her twin brothers. The settlement of Andoriguis was a logical choice as the town’s center as evidenced by the presence of the existing Catholic Church and belfry, town plaza and other public buildings.
From the town’s original area 2,000 hectares, several annexations of some places like Malungon, Bangay, Bangbangcag, Quinnuang and Cabanayan occurred so that it was gradually increased to its present area of 8,500 hectares.
To transform Magsingal into a peaceful and progressive municipality through a socially, physically and economically empowered citizenry.
Promotion of peace and order and reduction of poverty through livelihood projects that will lead to a progressive community.